Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Illest team in the CO

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How to Change your Spark Plugs on a Lexus IS 300

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Awempty

Awempty

How to Change your Spark Plugs on a Lexus IS 300 Empty
PostSubject: How to Change your Spark Plugs on a Lexus IS 300   How to Change your Spark Plugs on a Lexus IS 300 EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 5:13 pm

Note this is on a car with FI but the plugs are in the same location

Difficulty: Intermediate / Mechanically inclined

Time: 4-6 hours (your first time around at least)...maybe less with this tutorial as a guide

Interval: About every 60,000 for NA and about every 10,000 for those with F/I is preferred.

Tools Required or used to assist:

-1/4" rachet

-1/2" rachet

-Long extension

-Short extension

-3/4" (I believe, the normal sized one, not the huge one) spark plug socket

-Needle Nose pliers

-Flat head screw driver

-Adjustable pliers

-8mm socket

-10mm socket

-12mm socket

-#5 Hex Wrench

-12mm wrench with closed end on one side

-Spark plug gapper tool with wire gap checker

-Flashlight

Suggested extra tools:

-Mechanix Gloves

-Magnetic nut retriever

Procedures for replacing spark plugs (NOT EVERYTHING DISCONNECTED/REMOVED HAS A PICTURE):

TB=THROTTLE BODY

#0: Park in an area out of the elements, open the hood and ensure you have enough light.

How to Change your Spark Plugs on a Lexus IS 300 Fegui0

#1: Disconnect the negative side of the battery terminal.
#2: Disconnect at least one side of the front sway bar (if present).

How to Change your Spark Plugs on a Lexus IS 300 2f060qa

#3: Disconnect and remove your upper intake piping going into your throttle body. Don’t forget to unplug the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor wiring harness…most importantly, do not forget to reconnect it when you’re all done!!! That was the only thing I forgot when I did this and a CEL came on during initial startup. The CEL goes off on its own when you connect the MAF harness.

How to Change your Spark Plugs on a Lexus IS 300 4tatmd

#4: Disconnect the throttle cable and pull the cable out of the holding bracket completely (you do not have to undo the screw in the back like I did).

How to Change your Spark Plugs on a Lexus IS 300 Rmmyav

How to Change your Spark Plugs on a Lexus IS 300 2ymy4av

#5: Disconnect the x3 wiring harness going to your throttle body

How to Change your Spark Plugs on a Lexus IS 300 103fwci

How to Change your Spark Plugs on a Lexus IS 300 52nd5d

#6: Unscrew top left bolt going into your TB ***IF*** you have a grounding kit wire going to it.

How to Change your Spark Plugs on a Lexus IS 300 2envncz

#7: Disconnect x2 coolant lines going to your TB…don’t worry only a couple drops of fluid come out. Note: Be careful not to tear any tubes. It helps to use a flat head to push the tube out by inserting the flathead in-between what the tube connects to and the top of the tube (after pulling away the hose clamp obviously)

How to Change your Spark Plugs on a Lexus IS 300 Miga4i

How to Change your Spark Plugs on a Lexus IS 300 21maom8

#8: Take off TB bracket that is just underneath the intake opening that your intake piping plugs into. Note: You will not be able to completely remove the TB and upper intake together without removing this if you have a turbo that sits high due to tubular manifold…otherwise you may be able to keep that bracket on there, not sure. Either way, pay attention to that. DISCONNECT the bracket that holds one of your wiring harnesses attaching to the TB in the back to the left of the throttle assembly.

How to Change your Spark Plugs on a Lexus IS 300 1xz4ld

How to Change your Spark Plugs on a Lexus IS 300 11ipaw1

#9: Disconnect the x4 of x5 vaccum tubes that are attached to your upper intake, most are in back. The remaining one that you will not be able to reach yet is the skinny one under the intake.

#10: Unbolt the x4 bolts (upper) and x2 nuts (lower) securing your upper intake to your lower intake. Be careful not to damage the gasket. The nut at the bottom on the backside can only be reached with a wrench, or if you have a flexible socket.

How to Change your Spark Plugs on a Lexus IS 300 15qcj0g

#11: Pull the upper intake off, being careful not to pull too far without disconnecting that last x1 of x5 vacuum tube that is attached on the bottom. Disconnect the tube.

How to Change your Spark Plugs on a Lexus IS 300 2z9ktpk

How to Change your Spark Plugs on a Lexus IS 300 2dbqnhz

#12: Inspect all the way around to ensure you disconnected everything, then slowly pull the TB and upper intake completely off and set to the side.

How to Change your Spark Plugs on a Lexus IS 300 29p9sae

How to Change your Spark Plugs on a Lexus IS 300 2qmjj1s

#13: Use your #5 hex wrench to take off the timing belt cover.

How to Change your Spark Plugs on a Lexus IS 300 2uepn4j

#14: Un-screw x3 bolts holding on the black boxes (I forget what they’re called) in-between your spark plug wires and remove those.

How to Change your Spark Plugs on a Lexus IS 300 357pmhi

#15: Pull out the x3 spark plug wires…remember where everything came off. Wire order from front to rear is 1,5,3 (for the spark plug wires)

#16: Check to see if you have (oil, tranny, brake, etc. fluid) spillage inside the spark plug wells so when you start taking out spark plugs, you don’t get worried if you see oil inside, thinking it’s coming from your cylinder. NOTE THE OIL SPILLAGE INTO MY SPARK PLUG WELL.

How to Change your Spark Plugs on a Lexus IS 300 2lco2eq

#17: Use your spark plug remover with long extension and ½” rachet and pull out all x6 spark plugs.

How to Change your Spark Plugs on a Lexus IS 300 Birrj8

#18: Inspect your spark plugs for signs of anything bad going on with your engine (refer to Spark Plug section of FAQ for pictures on what they should/shouldn’t look like).

How to Change your Spark Plugs on a Lexus IS 300 2dtzlhe

#20: Check the gap in your old spark plugs to make sure you know what you’re supposed to gap the new ones at.

#21: Check/Change the gap in the NEW spark plugs (using a wire gap space checker and gapping tool)…also ensure that the ground electrode lines up with the center electrode and isn’t pushed to one side or the other a little.

How to Change your Spark Plugs on a Lexus IS 300 2873fox

#22: Go from #17 back to #1 in reverse order.

#23: Double check all of your work, ensuring all tools are out of the engine compartment. Don’t forget to reconnect the MAF sensor wiring harness.

#24: Start the car to make sure you don’t have a CEL and everything is 100%.
Back to top Go down
92teg303

92teg303

PostSubject: Re: How to Change your Spark Plugs on a Lexus IS 300   How to Change your Spark Plugs on a Lexus IS 300 EmptySun Jun 20, 2010 1:10 pm

WOW! Nice Guide props for makin it! but daym its a bitch to change plugs on that beast!
Back to top Go down
2NRD
Admin
2NRD

PostSubject: Re: How to Change your Spark Plugs on a Lexus IS 300   How to Change your Spark Plugs on a Lexus IS 300 EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 3:54 am

and i thought mines was some shit....hahah, fcuk toyotas. no offense mike, lmao.
Back to top Go down
https://siccmadecrew.forumotion.com
Ego

Ego

PostSubject: Re: How to Change your Spark Plugs on a Lexus IS 300   How to Change your Spark Plugs on a Lexus IS 300 EmptySun Jul 04, 2010 6:48 pm

Times like these make me love my datsun
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com\ek3 civic
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to Change your Spark Plugs on a Lexus IS 300   How to Change your Spark Plugs on a Lexus IS 300 Empty

Back to top Go down

How to Change your Spark Plugs on a Lexus IS 300
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Tech :: Others-
Jump to: